Pomona Economic Opportunity Center
PDF File Link Here
Job Title: PEOC Workers’ Organizer
Status: Full time: exempt
Reports To: Executive Director
Who We Are:
The mission of the Pomona Economic Opportunity Center (PEOC) is to strengthen and empower the low-wage, immigrant community in Pomona, CA and the Inland Empire. Our core work is to provide tools and resources for all immigrant workers and immigrant residents to improve their quality of life. We provide an opportunity for day laborers, household workers and other low-wage immigrant workers in the community to find safe work at a fair wage, to organize and advocate for themselves in relation to policies that impact their lives, to obtain new trades and skills that improve their employability and quality of life, and to improve the overall conditions for all immigrant workers and immigrant residents in Pomona and the Inland Empire.
To achieve these goals the PEOC engages in a variety of activities including job development, providing educational opportunities on workers’ rights and immigrant rights, leadership development, immigration document preparation and grassroots advocacy to promote or change policies that impact low-wage immigrant workers. In addition to its main site in Pomona, the PEOC organizes day laborer corners in the Inland Empire in the cities of Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, Corona and Riverside.
We are seeking a full-time Workers’ Organizer to work with our Day Laborer and Women Workers’ program, to facilitate workforce development support, in-house services, educational outreach, community organizing, grassroots advocacy to advance immigrant-worker campaigns.
- Coordinate the PEOC Women Workers’ program and advance projects and capacity work to strengthen the group.
- Facilitate workforce development for day laborer and household workers at PEOC.
- Lead grassroots organizing and campaigns with day laborers, household workers, street vendors and other low-wage, immigrant workers. to advance PEOC objectives and support worker membership base.
- Conduct in-house services and support to PEOC worker membership including but not limited to wage theft claims, employee-employer mediation, skills trainings, immigration document preparation and others as needed.
- Participate in community groups and coalitions around issues that benefit the lives of day laborers, household workers and other low-wage, immigrant workers,
- Conduct educational outreach at day laborer corners across the region to advance the rights of immigrant and low-wage workers.
- Develop leadership of day laborers and household workers.
- Demonstrated experience in worker and/or community organizing
- Experience with day laborers and/or the immigrant community preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and economic justice.
- Familiarity with labor movement and building/construction trades sector
- Basic knowledge on immigration law and/or document preparation
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule, including evenings and some weekends
- Bilingual and fluent in English and Spanish
- Basic knowledge of computer operations desirable, including web design, Word Press, Photoshop, Excel, social media, and basic graphic design and others.
- Prior experience in facilitating meetings, including assemblies with workers and staff,
- Comfort level, sensitivity and cultural understanding in working in various immigrant communities, people of color, the LGBTQ community, students, and older adult workers
Salary and Benefits:
- Full-time position (100% time)
- Health insurance coverage, paid vacation and paid sick day policies
- Competitive salary commensurate on experience.
The Organizer will be working primarily at the PEOC offices and in the field at day laborer corners and other job sites alongside workers and community members. The Organizer will also be in the field in connection with community organizations, participating in coalition-building and conducting outreach in the immigrant community. This outreach will be across the Inland Empire which will include driving throughout the region, so it is preferred that a suitable candidate be in possession of a vehicle and a valid driver’s license. (Applicants without car or valid drivers’ license will not be turned down)
Please send a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and interest along with a résumé that includes education, work history, two employment and one personal reference to: email@example.com or mail to: PO Box 2496 Pomona, CA 91769
Please, no phone inquiries.
Submission Deadline: May 18, 2018
The PEOC is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage immigrant women of color, ethnic and religious minorities, and members of the LGBTQI community to apply to reflect the growing and thriving diversity of our community.