Pomona Economic Opportunity Center
Job Title: Inland Empire Organizer
Status: Full time: exempt
Reports To: Executive Director
Who We Are:
The mission of the Pomona Economic Opportunity Center (PEOC) is to strengthen and empower the low-wage, immigrant community in Pomona, CA and the Inland Empire. Our core work is to provide tools and resources for all immigrant workers and immigrant residents to improve their quality of life. We provide an opportunity for day laborers, household workers and other low-wage immigrant workers in the community to find safe work at a fair wage, to organize and advocate for themselves in relation to policies that impact their lives, to obtain new trades and skills that improve their employability and quality of life, and to improve the overall conditions for all immigrant workers and immigrant residents in Pomona and the Inland Empire.
To achieve these goals the PEOC engages in job development, providing educational opportunities on workers’ rights and immigrant rights, leadership development, immigration document preparation and grassrotos advocacy to promote or change policies that impact low-wage immigrant workers. In addition to its main site in Pomona, the PEOC organizes day laborer corners in the Inland Empire in San Bernardino County and Riverside County.
We are seeking a full-time Inland Empire Organizer to work with our base of day laborers, household workers and other low-wage, immigrant workers in the IE. The IE Organizer will be expected to facilitate educational outreach, workforce development support, direct services, community organizing and lead grassroots advocacy to advance immigrant-worker and civic engagement campaigns.
- Provide educational outreach at day laborer corners and other work sites in the IE areas of San Bernardino, Riverside, Corona, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta and other areas
- Support on educational outreach on workforce safety, wage theft, “Know Your Rights,” immigration resources, 2020 Census and grassroots advocacy campaign work.
- Facilitate workforce development support for PEOC day laborers
- Lead grassroots organizing and campaigns with low-wage, immigrant workers to advance PEOC objectives and support worker membership base
- Conduct in-house services and support to day laborers PEOC worker membership wage theft claims, employee-employer mediation, skills trainings and others as needed.
- Participate alongside IE community groups and coalitions around issues that benefit the lives of day laborers and other low-wage, immigrant workers
- Lead and conduct trainings catered to workers on capacity building and skills trainings.
- Conduct educational outreach at day laborer corners across the region to advance the rights of immigrant and low-wage workers
- Participate in civic engagement coalitions including the Census 2020 regional meetings
- Demonstrated experience in worker and/or community organizing
- Experience with day laborers and/or the immigrant community preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and economic justice
- Familiarity with labor movement and building/construction trades sector
- Basic knowledge on immigration law and/or document preparation
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule, including evenings and some weekends
- Bilingual and fluent in English and Spanish
- Basic knowledge of computer operations desirable, including web design, Word Press, Photoshop, Excel, social media, and basic graphic design and others
- Prior experience in facilitating meetings, including assemblies with workers and staff,
- Comfort level, sensitivity and cultural understanding in working in various immigrant communities, people of color, the LGBTQ community, students, and older adult workers
Salary and Benefits:
- $38,000 to $45,000 DOE
- Full-time exempt position (100% time)
- Health insurance coverage
- One month paid vacation and generous paid sick-day policies
The Organizer will be working primarily at the PEOC offices in Pomona/Ontario and in the field at day laborer corners and other job sites alongside workers and community members. The Organizer will also be in the field in connection with community organizations conducting outreach in the immigrant community. This outreach will be across the Inland Empire which will include driving throughout the region, so it is preferred that a suitable candidate be in possession of a vehicle and a valid driver’s license. (Applicants without car or valid drivers’ license will not be turned down). Occasional weekends and evenings of work will be expected.
Please send a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and interest along with a résumé that includes education, work history, two employment and one personal reference to: email@example.com or mail to: PO Box 2496 Pomona, CA 91769
Please, no phone inquiries.
Submission Deadline: January 17, 2020
The PEOC is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage immigrant women of color, ethnic and religious minorities, and members of the LGBTQI community to apply to reflect the growing and thriving diversity of our community.